Planning to purge your home of all the winter grime and freshen it up for this spring? Grab your mops and dust rags! We have compiled the ultimate spring cleaning checklist for every room in your house so that you will miss nothing and your house looks clean and smells fresh.
All over the house
- Dust everything. From furniture, windows and shelves to corners and spaces under your furniture and appliances. Make sure you get rid of all the dust in the house.
- Wipe down all the walls and ceilings. Use a damp cloth to wipe away the layer of dust and grime accumulated. If you come across any stain, use a mild detergent to wipe it away.
- Deep clean your carpets. You can either hire a professional, or do it yourself using a vacuum, steam cleaner, and a few kitchen supplies.
- Deep clean your upholsteries.Remove and wash the covers, beat the cushions, vacuum and use some vinegar to get rid of the stains.
- Clean and wax wooden furniture. Use a cloth soaked in detergent and water to wipe off the dirt from the furniture. Next, apply the wax, let it dry and buff it with a clean cloth.
- Clean ceiling fixtures. Dust the fixtures with a feather duster and use a damp cloth to wipe it down. Wipe using a detergent solution to get rid of stains.
- Clean lighting fixtures. Dust your lamps and other lighting fixtures with a feather duster and use a damp cloth to wipe it down. Use a detergent solution to get rid of any stains.
- Wash windows. Pick a cloudy day. Use a mixture of mild liquid detergent and water to scrub the window. Rinse with clean water. Dry the window panes with a lint-free cloth.
- Clean window treatments. Remove your curtains and wash them thoroughly. If the draperies are not washable, vacuum and wipe with a damp cloth. Wipe the blinds with a damp cloth.
- Clean the Shelves. Remove everything from the shelves. Dust and wipe the shelf, replace the shelf paper, then dust and wipe each object before placing them back on the shelf.
- Clean overlooked spaces. Clean the baseboards, tracks of sliding windows and doors, storage shelves and areas under appliances and furniture and any other often overlooked spaces.
- Polish metal hardware. Use a detergent solution to clean the metal hardware like handles, knobs and bolts on windows, doors and cupboards. Use lemon juice to remove stubborn stains.
- Clean power cords. Remove all the attached cords and wipe it down with a cloth soaked in detergent solution to remove accumulated grime.
- Clean the gutters.Clean out the debris collected inside the gutter. Check for blockage, damage and leaks or if any other repair is needed.
- Check appliances.Check all your electronic appliances to make sure they work properly. Change the batteries in smoke detectors and similar electronics.
- Clean the cabinets and vanity.Remove all the contents of your cabinet and wipe down the space thoroughly. Wipe down the vanity area, including the basin, faucets and toothbrush stand with disinfectant.
- Remove expired medications and cosmetics. Check the expiry dates of your medications and cosmetic. Throw away and replace the expired ones.
- Clean and replace towels and washcloths.Remove the dirty towels, wash and disinfect cloths from your bathroom properly before replacing them.
- Clean and disinfect the toilet. Clean the toilet thoroughly. Scrub the inside with a toilet brush and wipe the outside with a damp cloth and disinfectant. Clean and disinfect the handles, cervices and undersides as well.
- Clean the tub and shower. Scrub the bath tub with disinfectant and rinse it properly. Remove and wash the shower curtains and scrub the shower walls and glass to get rid of any buildup.
- Reseal grout lines. Clean the grout lines, and if necessary, have it resealed to prevent leakage.
- Check for leaks. Check your toilets, faucets and pipes for leaks. If found, fix it immediately.
- Clean and organize the cabinets.Clear out the kitchen cabinets, wipe down the insides and replace the shelf paper. Wipe down all the dishes, pots and pans from the cabinet, then organize and replace them.
- Restock pantry.Check every item in your pantry and throw out anything that is expired. Then, make a list of everything that is needed and add it to your grocery list.
- Clean every surface. Thoroughly scrub the counter tops, stove, floor and any other surface with a mild detergent, and disinfect it properly.
- Clean the sink.Scrub the sink and faucet with dish washing detergent and rinse thoroughly. Remember to clean the opening of the drain and the pop up.
- Clean Appliances. Run your dishwashers a couple of times without any dishes. Use an oven cleaner to remove accumulated grime from the oven. Unplug the fridge for a day and let it thaw. Then, remove everything and clean it thoroughly.
- Clean the couch. Remove and wash the cushion covers. Beat the cushions (and wash if the cushions are washable). Vacuum the entire surface of the couch and wipe it down with a dry cleaning sponge.
- Clean the TV screen. Unplug the TV and gently wipe it down with a lint free cloth. Use a slightly moist cloth to remove stains if necessary.
- Polish the furniture. Wet a soft cloth with beer and use it to wipe down your wooden furniture. Then, use a dry cloth to remove excess moisture.
- Organize your media storage and display cases. Remove the contents of your display rack, wipe it down and replace the contents after wiping them down too. Repeat the process for your media centre and organize your music and movies according to your taste.
- Strip and clean the beddings. Strip your sheets, pillow cases, comforters and covers and wash them thoroughly with mild detergent before replacing them.
- Clean the pillows. Check if your pillows are machine washable and if they are, wash them. If not, beat and fluff them.
- Clean and De-clutter your closet. Remove everything from your closet and wipe down the insides. Get rid of the clothes and accessories you don’t use (sell, donate or throw away) and put everything you need back to where it was.
- Clean the mattress. Remove the beddings and wash them (see above). Air the mattress out for a day. Then, vacuum it and remove any stains with upholstery cleaner. Put the mattress back in the bed but flip it upside down. The, spritz some fabric refresher and cover with the clean bed sheets.
Complete all these steps and freshen up your home for spring. You can get a printable version of this checklist right here.